RE: X10 Automated Home s/w ?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: X10 Automated Home s/w ?
  • From: "Marcus Warrington" <marcusw@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:55:44 +0100

Hi guys,

Thanks for the pointers to www.homeseer.com and www.misterhouse.net

I already had a copy of MrHouse running on a PC which I was trying to use
with a couple of 3Com Audrey Internet Appliances (reflashed with MrAudrey).
Idea was to use the Audrey's as touch screens around the house... but most
of my time so far has been spent trying to flash them (with MrAudrey).
Eventually managed to find a copy of fs-cif that I could ftp over to it
that
allows me to share a drive on the PC where I have downloaded the
compactflash
images. Still an ongoing project but making slow progress... main problem
seems
to be the speed of the Audreys at display a web page with graphics. Maybe
I'll
have a go at overclocking one of them (to 333MHz). Anyone on the list done
this ?

Anyway I haven't fully investigated how to "program" MrHouse X10
events etc,
I've been more interested in getting the web server part of it to serve the
Audrey devices. As I understand it I'll need to learn PERL in order to
"program" events ?

Homeseer looks quite interesting.. especially the free Active OCX download
:)
Certainly "looks" a lot nicer than MrHouse.

I'd be grateful for any comments from anyone who has used both homeseer and
MrHouse.

Marcus Warrington
marcusw@xxxxxxx MIS Computer Services (UK)