Smart pixels from Philips (more recent for the benefit of Tony :->)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Smart pixels from Philips (more recent for the benefit of Tony :->)
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 14:49:29 +0100

Smart pixels from Philips
THE first public demonstrations in the UK of Pixel Plus on a flat screen
TV will be given by Philips at The Smart Show in Birmingham next month.

Indeed, the company's showcase will focus on its award-winning Pixel
Plus technology, which was introduced on CRT TVs in spring 2002.

Pixel Plus doubles the horizontal resolution of standard TVs from 1024
lines to 2048 and the vertical resolution by a third, from 625 lines to
833. This cuts out the lines that are visible on standard TV monitors
and results in better picture depth and much sharper picture quality not
only from TV signals but from VCR tapes and DVD discs.

This time round, the company is using Pixel Plus on its growing range of
"flat, slim and wide" monitors. The range of LCD TVs has been
extended
to cover 15in, 17in, 23in and 30in screen sizes, and the bigger picture
models of 32in, 37in, 42in and 50in are based on Philips's plasma panel
technology, also the recipient of several industry awards.

Some of the models, of course, will carry Pixel Plus.

Brand manager Scott Levitan described flat-screen TVs as likely to be
the most important part of the consumer electronics marketplace for
years to come.

"And," he added, "We are absolutely committed to taking a
leading
position in this business. That is why we are going for a range from
15in to 50in, including Pixel Plus technology."

The Smart Show, he added: "presents a well targeted opportunity to
present our range of flat TVs to the UK trade and especially our
independent customers. The Show follows our own annual dealer event in
February, and paves the way for another successful year in leading-edge
consumer electronics."

Although it will be concentrating on flat TVs, the company is also
bringing DVD recorders and players to Show and will have an additional
presence in the Home Entertainment Hub