RE: FIRM Pics + Questions

Hi Frank,

I think I am interested ..... Still a bit confused about how the serial
interface works exactly.

Read your site and understand how the whole thing works with Homevision.
HV being the logic brains behind which zone to transmit onto (and "what"
I guess as well) in response to a received IR command.  The interface to
HV is IR and a few I/O lines.

OK so you add the serial interface and use a PC to replace HV.  Now the
serial interface board actually has to decode the IR (HV used to do that
for you) and generate an ASCII command string - is that right ?
Actually I guess what would make it clearer to me is the serial to PC
protocol if you are willing to release it.

Finally - what are the limitations of FirM that you are aware of.  I am
a newbie to IR and a bit confused but have thoughts like:
1) Different remotes use different frequencies - any problem ?
2) Some keys send multi command sequences etc - any problem ?

I have also added some inline comments re. your questions.

Cheers and well done - I agree the built up units don't look to bad at
all !
Shane

> Question 1 PC USERS
>         I would like some feedback from Pc users would be
> interested in purchasing FirM for their ir needs.If
> sufficient interest shown i would consider getting a pcb done
> for the serial interface otherwise i will just put schemetics
> and pic code on my site when finished...
A definite interest from me if it does what I think it does.

> Question 2 Xantech USERS
>                     I would also like some feedback from
> people who are currently using xantech equipment if they
> would be interested in purchasing  FirM  if enough interest
> shown i would purchase a xantech receiver and see if i can
> interface to it.........
As I understand it the receivers are the most difficult area?  If that
is correct then I am considering Xantech (or Buffalo) receivers. In fact
if you have no need for them I would be happy to purchase a few and loan
them to you for testing.

Cheers
Shane

PS Actually in Aussie from 5th to 12th November but only in Gold Coast -
I assume you are way south.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor