Home PC Server recommendations? (HA at end!)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Home PC Server recommendations? (HA at end!)
  • From: "James Winspear" <james.winspear@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 14:40:06 -0000

Hi,

  Anyone got any suggestions for an Off-The-Shelf PC that I could have
in my home-office.  I'm after a ready-built PC, that functionally does
things like:

-         automatically (?) backs-up laptops when connected to it, to a
tape (?) e.g. nightly backups when I'm out at work and come home and
connect up to the server.

-         Provides file Server functionality with our laptops
(centralised, backed-up file system)

-         Provides print server functionality? (colour and b/w printers)

-         Any UPS suggestions?

  Which OS would be best for this PC-Win2000?

  Which applications would be best (for file-serving, print-serving and
backups)?

  Caveat being that I want off-the-shelf solutions/components that work
(without messing around with scripts/linux etc)

  Has anyone used DAT tapes to store DVD content? Is there a sensible
option for being able to archive off several DVDs to tape, for
subsequent (slow) jukeboxing?

  If I've got a decent tape device for backup of work-data, could I also
use this for archiving/storage of Tivo/Sky content? Or is this barking
up the wrong tree?  [I've got a fairly decent VCR, which I'd use by
default]

  I've got a standalone HomeVision, and no MP3's (CD jukebox) -
therefore no interaction there

  I have a 10/100 hub.

  I've got a Tivo box on order (from Currys)  [Thanks very much to the
list!] - haven't kept up with the discussion, but can I then put a NIC
into Tivo and connect it up to my hub, and then to the Server?

  I'll be getting SkySky+ shortly - again is there an obvious NIC/LAN
connection to be made there?

Lot of questions, but can anyone help me on what I'd have thought was a
fairly common scenario?

Thanks

James