  From: Jon Fautley [mailto:jon@xxxxxxx]
  Sent: 30 October 2002 12:04
  To: 'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'
  Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Webcams

  On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, BUTLER, Tony, FM wrote:

  > > Isn't wireless more likely to be hacked, so hacker can see
  > > into your home,
  >
  > Not if it was used as a security camera and thus was pointed at the
outside
  > of the house, which the "hacker" can see from his van outside anyway :-)
  > Also, bearing in mind the limited range of 802.11b, and the area I live
in,
  > some bloke parked outside the house with an aerial sticking out of his
car
  > window for a long time is _bound_ to raise suspicions :-)

  I'm guessing you've never been wardriving then? ;)

  I've been peered at only once. I was sitting in worthing, at 3am, waving a
  pringles can outta the window at a nearby node. Then, a police car came
  round the corner, on the other side of the solid central reservation
  thingy, slowed right down and peered at us. So, what did I do? That's
  right... I waved :)

  Didn't seem to like that though, they sped off, and turned round at the
  next roundabout and started heading back, so I just decided to drive away
  very quickly ;)

  Once in about 20/30 wardriving trips, including sitting in the middle of
  houseing estates, etc. Not bad, eh?

  > I'd be more worried about said hacker getting at my data than seeing
what
  > I'm watching on TV (which he can see by peering in the window)......

  Indeed. I'm sure this is a topic for much discussion, but I don't really
  see the point of having cameras inside your house. And 'hackers'
  (technically crackers) have eyes so they can see what the cam sees.

  > > Wireless is easier to install, I suppose (no ethernet cable),
  > > but you still
  > > need to provide power supply cable.
  > > Is that your reasoning for wireless?
  >
  > Nope - wireless is just cooler :-)