-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Monaghan [mailto:alex@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 25 October 2002 16:07
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx Subject: RE: [ukha_d] OT: Buying a house online.

We found a similar problem, I think the simple fact is that most Estate
Agents (at least in our area) are just not IT literate. There were a couple
of agents with decent regularly updated web sites, but they just didn't have
any good houses - typical !

The main problem we found was that a lot of the good quality houses were
being sold before the agent had even managed to issue the details, let alone
publish them on the web site. We actually viewed one house the day it was
valued and made the offer immediately, the sale fell through due to a
temporary family problem with the sellers - it came back on the market the
day we exchanged on this house :-(

Personally I'd forget it, it's just too frustrating seeing all these nice
houses that someone's already bought. Take a long lunch  or afternoon off
and go and visit the agents and build a good relationship over the phone,
that's how we got the viewing described above and many others.

Try taking the kids in (or borrow some for the day), let them do their worst
and suggest you'll pop in regularly with them, you'll then be a priority
call when something good comes in :-)

Hopefully in a few years time, Estate Agents may have some clue what
technology is, but for now it seems as though the web sites contain the
dross that hasn't sold or lots of pictures of their sold ones.