RE: I'm an arrogant sod with a beemer (was Symantec - Virus Warning Bulletin)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: I'm an arrogant sod with a beemer (was Symantec - Virus Warning Bulletin)
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 14:11:35 +0100

>On the other hand, I believe the largest proportion of motorbike accidents
>happen on small-capacity bikes at low speed.  The idea of riding a 125
>around here (Reading/Wokingham) is something that would concern me more
>than a little.

It's been a while since I was involved in any Motorcycle advocacy (some of
my friends are involved in MAG, a lobby group) but as far as I am aware, you
are right, but for the wrong reasons.

The largest proportion of accidents (as many as 50% of bikers have an
accident in their first year) do involve smaller machines becuase *most*
people are sensible, and have no desire to wind up dead. More accidents
happen at low speed as with cars, because most hazardous moves (pulling out,
turning right, roundabouts etc) are carried out at low speed.

My worst bike smash was when a drink driver pulled out on me at <15 mph, and
that was on a 125cc bike. I know that on my current bike, a YZF600R, I would
have been doing 30mph. (the 125 was real slow building speed with 2 up) That
extra speed could have made the difference in the head on impact between me
walking, or breathing for that matter.

I binned my 125 on oily roads, on black ice, and by cornering too fast and
having to brake sharp. In contrast, I have not binned my YZF at all, not
because it's a better bike (although it is) but because I have learned to
handle rear wheel slides, or front wheel instability in the only way you
can: by experience.

>However, I think the real problem is not power nor speed (in either case --
>for a car or motorbike).  The problem is those people who irresponsibly
>ride/drive beyond their ability and/or with insufficient care.  No matter
>what rules exist, there will always be people who do that and they'll
>always be a danger to themselves and others.

Irresponsibility is a seperate issue IMO, and one for the courts. What I am
talking about here is inexperience: when people learn a new task it takes
time, and lessons have to be learnt. I know that I have a much safer riding
style because I made my mistakes on a toy bike, rather than something that
could *really* get me in trouble fast.

I mean, my YZF can get from 0-60 in sub 3 seconds. The power available can
wheelie the bike all the way to third gear, or spin the back wheel till it
smokes, trivially. In the hands of someone new who might hit a pebble and
wobble the front wheel and panic, thats *LETHAL*

Guys who buy a superbike right from passing the test are stroking their own
egos. And that, IMO, betrays the mindset which will get them killed.

Ian.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor