RE: Outlook Central

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Outlook Central
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:54:27 +0000

You can install Outlook 2000 without an Exchange server - you will be
limited to using .PST files for storage, and these can reside anywhere you
like, including a shared drive on a server that you map to.

Only Exchange 2000 server requires Windows 2000 server (for the directory
service). Exchange 5.5 can be run on Window NT4 or Windows 2000. If you
want
to run Exchange 5.5 on a windows 2000 domain controller, you have to tweak
the 5.5 directory service to coexist with the Active Directory service.
(just change the LDAP port basically).

For web access to "outlook" (actually your mailbox/calendar etc.)
you
definately need an Exchange server. It is called "Outlook Web
Access" (OWA)
and is a feature of both Exchange 5.5 server and Exchange 2000 server.

Paul G.