RE: CAT5 vs. Wire ---- LESS ----

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: CAT5 vs. Wire ---- LESS ----
  • From: Nic Blinston <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 13:38:11 +0000

>you wouldn't run a cat 5 cable down the end of your garden for
instance, so
>whether wireless reaches that far or not is irrelevant.

Well, I've just built an office at the bottom of mine, connected to
the house with two 50mm cable ducts about 70 metres long - one for
mains which has two runs of 10mm2 to avoid volt drop, the second for
other cables. Initially laid in one each of: Cat5, Video co-ax,
Broadband cable with 4-core phone attached (kindly supplied by the
Telewest installers!), and 12-core phone/alarm. I also pulled in a
6mm polypropylene rope for future use.

I'm a complete newbie to the whole X-10 / HA game however, and have
just invested in a Visonic PowerMax alarm system, CM12 for computer
control, and a Rex dog kit to deter nocturnal visitors (of the feline
variety as well as the thieving kind!).

So far (4 days!) this list seems both lively and helpful - much more
so than others I've been on.

As for wired vs wireless (and I'm using both), see my sig - as in
most things, there is no absolute 'best', only what's best for the
job, at the time.
--
Nic Blinston - Head of Development
Tel: 0701 0701 443	nic@xxxxxxx