Re: Newbie about to run Cat5

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Newbie about to run Cat5
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:47:16 +0000

>I'm picking up a wall chaser tomorrow for my first foray into this Cat5
>business. I'm going to be chasing walls and installing conduit now, but
not
>actually pulling cables for a month or so (various reasons why, but
that's
>the way it has to be).
>
>I'm going to run Cat5, CT100 and speaker cable to many of the rooms in
the
>house, and build in provision for running cables to the remaining
rooms. A
>while ago James Hoye (I think) commented on the merits of different
sized
>conduit. I was originally planning on installing 25mm round, on the
basis
>that 20mm round was a bit tight for 4 cables, but am now considering
>25mmx16mm with a snap on lid (but buried in the wall) since it's got
more
>useable cross-section. Has anyone installed this type, any comments on
the
>benefits (or otherwise) ?

I Presume you will be leaving some string or something in the conduits for
pulling the cables later? I imagine that round might be easier to pull
through without snagging... - are the runs all straight, or are there
bends/angles in the trunking? - round trunking uses 90-degree elbow bends
that are a "curve" whereas the square stuff uses elbows that are
a sharp
corner, - possibly harder to pull cable round the sharp angle?...

>I was planning on a 5-6mm plaster coat on top of the conduit - will
this be
>thick enough to prevent cracking etc ?
>
>Also, in some locations, I may want to run Cat5 & speaker cable in
same
>conduit. I know mains & LV (Cat5) in the same conduit is a no-no,
but what
>about Cat5 & speaker cable ?
>
>One final question. While I'm hiring the tool and making the mess, I'd
like
>to put in provision for future (Cat5 based) keypads at light-switch
height.
>I can chase the wall, fit the conduit and plaster over, but what about
the
>backbox ? Ideally I'd like to fit this too, and completely hide it
under
>the
>plaster (I'll know where it'll be when I come to use it). Is there a
>problem
>from the Regs. POV if I install (and possibly pull cable) to a location
>that's completely hidden ?

Aren't there plasterers faceplates for backboxes for this very reason? -
allow the plasterers to go straight over the top of them, and you can thnk
knock them out when you need to....

£0.02

Paul G.