RE: Re: OT :Computer to Home Highway, How?

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: OT :Computer to Home Highway, How?
  • From: "BUTLER, Tony, FM" <tony.butler@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:42:06 -0000

> In the spirit of fun
>
> IMHO it is better to keep to correct terminology when
> describing things :-))

Ah, but I (validly I think) used it as an analogy, I did not say a TA was a
modem :-)

> Now can we please get on, and discuss the difference between
> bits-per-second, and baud rate!

certainly:
The baud rate is the no of signal 'pulses' transmitted per second.
bps, or bits per second, is the no of bits that can be xmitted per baud.
bps = baud * no. of bits per baud.

Back in the good old days, only 1 bit per baud could be xmitted, so the
terms were used interchangably - ie
a 1200 baud modem would xmit 1200bps, so either term was used to describe
the speed of the modem.

Fast forwarding a bit, with the advent of 9600bps modems, the baud rate was
still 1200, but 8 bits were being xmitted per baud.
9600bps = 1200 baud * 8 bits.

easy see :-)

Tony

Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com