RE: Structured wiring -> BT Secondary skts

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Structured wiring -> BT Secondary skts
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <lists.diyha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 19:31:46 -0000

Title: Message
Plugging a phone into a hub should cause any problems as most hubs have transformers on the RJ45, however plugging a phone line into a network card or hub would not be a good idea.

The main A&B wires would be on the blue pair which is not used for ethernet but the ringing circuit is on the orange pair which is one half of the ethernet circuit. Depending on the polarity of the line, there could be -50V DC on the wires.

Basically, if the kit is well designed it should tollerate the wrong thing being plugged in especially as the phone line cannot supply more than about 50mA. Its a different matter if you have something actually feeding a power supply onto the cable which is why I have frequently made mention of the requirement for fusing. Some ISDN circuits carry 48V dc on the Brown Pair.

The ONLY downside of using RJ45 for everything is the possibility of incorrect connection. The advantages offered by a common infrastructure far outweigh the risk of mis-plugging. In the 5 years that I looked after the Customer Centre at work we had over 600 circuits on our patch panel carrying a mixture of .....

PSTN telephone lines
ISDN lines
Analogue PBX lines
Digital PBX lines
10 baseT ethernet
100 baseT ethernet
VideoOnDemand (ADSL type of delivery)
Lutron Graphic Eye Keypads including power feeding
AC4600 audio conferencing unit
KAT5 AV distribution
KAT5 CCTV distribution with Power feeding
KAT5 VGA
and several other Demo's that people turned up with that used unknown (to us) electrical signals over a CAT5 connection medium.

Colour coding some of the source sockets on the patch panel can help as can the use of coloured patch leads, details of the colour code we had as shown below....

GREY = a patch cord
Light Grey = a different make of patch cord
<anything other than grey> = a cord we must have nicked from somewhere

As you probably guessed, we were only supplied with Grey cords but they did have coloured labels on the ends.
Green = Network
Red = ISDN
Blue = PBX

Despite people plugging stuff in whenever they wanted to, I never had anything damaged by incorrect connection.

IMHO, there is probably less risk involved with structured cabling than there is of plugging the wrong WallWart into the wrong piece of equipment.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv