RE: Showshifter & me - all your base belong to us

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Showshifter & me - all your base belong to us
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 10:30:23 +0100

> If you have that technical knowledge (as most people on this list I
would
> guess have) then you have the choice of systems.

Agreed, but for mass-market appeal this is not an option and
TiVo/Sky+/Replay all work out of the box, which is the point I was
making.

> So I summerise.
>
> The average punter could setup Tivo easier than Showshifter at the
moment.
> Agreed.
> Showshifter is more flexible. Agreed.
>
> The average punter could setup Showshifter easier than hacking a Tivo?

Not an option for Joe Average, agreed, I was making the point that it
*can* be done not that it should or is required. But by the same token
normal punters would start gibbering incessantly like a loon if you
asked them to change an HDD in a PC too.

> My point is that that Showshifter, if they make it look a little less
> fisher
> price in the interface, will be a superset of what Tivo is.
> I have room under my tv for just one box. It does this.
>
> It records tv

So does my VCR, as well as TiVo

> It timeshifts tv

See above!

> It schedules tv

See above!

> It edits out ads (nearly)

The FF works rather well on both of the above.

> It can play dvd's

So does my PC, as well as a funky assed Pioneer player, the PS 2 and the
Multitainer, what the hell do I need another DVD player for?

> It can burn dvd's(nearly)

So would my PC if I could afford to out a DVD burner in it, but since
one of those costs *more* than a TiVo box does I don't think that's
really relevant do you?

> It plays mp3.

See plays DVD's as that covers a couple and add a couple of DDAR's and
soon an Auditron which should be miles better than trying to stream from
a sound card to the local amp!

> It plays cd's

Uhm, I'm guessing most of us wouldn't struggle with that one ;-)

> It handles my security cameras.

So does my server, as does HV and RF transmission around the house!

> It handles Caller-id answerphone.

Funnily enough I have an answering machine as well as the capability to
use the server and the MT for that.

> I can control it remotely from fuji or any other pc.

I find a Pronto far more user friendly!

> (It did do internet sharing to bridged wired wireless adapters, but I
> needed
> an access point as I now have two wireless systems)

I like to let PC's do PC things and leave the rest of the devices to do
what they are good at and what they where intended to do.

> The reason for this is that... It's still a pc!

*EXACTLY* the point, you have the PC handling multiple tasks and doing
what I would consider being the job of a few boxes and not one!

> Tivo would do this..
>
> It records tv
> It timeshifts tv
> It schedules tv
>
> Now, does Tivo do these 3 things better than showshifter at the
moment?
> Yes.
> Just about. At the moment.
> But I would not trade all the other functionality for the slight edge?
No.

Fair enough, stick with SS then. Me I like my "noddy" point and click
TiVo for the moment as does SWMBO which is even more to the point. ;-)

K.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor