RE: Re: UK HA All-encompasing FAQ

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: UK HA All-encompasing FAQ
  • From: "fluff" <fluff@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 14:27:52 +0100

> Good to see there's a bit of interest. I think for it to work (as
> there's a lot up upkeep with something like this), there have to be
> several authors and an editor. I don't think the wrangling on 'this
> or that product' would be a problem as the FAQ should state facts
> with any oppinion clearly stated.
That assumes a correct answer, or clear facts. OK for which pin on this
module is which or what tool do I need to terminate RJ45, however the answer
to "What's the best way to do *****?" is often a matter of opinion, and also
one of the more common type of question on the list.

Answers can be bracketed, by cost for example but even then there may be
several options & I don't think opinion is a bad thing. I for one trust the
opinion of several of the group, and it can help in deciding between two
similar choices. As long as opinions are presented as such it's fine.

Mailed Mark on an unrelated issue (polls) earlier, and suggested that
certain polls could answer some questions on an FAQ,

Given the scope of work, I favor the open system for responding to
questions, unless you prove you've no right (open read, register to post).
Does need an editor  (or at least someone who can ban/remove stuff), but
there is just so much info to impart limiting who can author it could kill
it, or make it worthless.

For a good example of open info system see everything2.com beyond what's
needed here, and without enough structure possibly, but cool.

>I'm sure Mark already has his work cut out running his site! Now -
>if he wouldn't mind hosting it and delegating the hard work to a few
>others... ?
It could be hosted anywhere, but maybe common style with automatedhome would
give consistency.

A.