From: Kevin Hawkins [mailto:lists@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 12 July 2002 12:43
To: UKHA Group
Subject: [ukha_d] HARDWARE broadband Router/Firewall recommendation.

  I hate to post this given the adjacent threads demise but......

    I am looking for a 'good'  router/firewall for NTL broadband. I want a standalone 'easy care' HARDWARE solution and I would like flexibility for VPN and VoIP. I am searching the Practically Networked site which has reviews of about 125 units but no clear-cut recommendations. Aiming at the £150 mark. Any suggestions ? I saw Asus mentioned earlier when someone else was deciding , did you go that route and any comments ??

    I would like the most future proof solution with some decent logging although this could be augmented with a PC. Also some content filtering to specific PC's (not all). Are there certain key buzzwords I should look for ? What are the latest key technologies to try and include ?

     A Linksys would sit nicely on top of the Linksys WAP I have so may go that route. (BEFSX41), worried it only has incoming mapping for 10 ports though - I have that many PC's running already so would like more than that. Want to keep the possibility of external HA access as unrestricted as I can. Have been offered a very cheap (£50) Linksys BEFSR41v2 as an option too.

    Is there a good feature comparison chart anywhere for lots of routers ? The select and compare ones that I have seen are pretty lame really. Or any 'shoot out' type comparison articles ?

    I don't suppose any models support three Ethernet interfaces in this price range ? WAN/LAN1/LAN2 - - Cisco is way too much for my home application.

    PLEASE don't start any software solution comments in this thread. I'm bored of them (or more accurately the ensuing asides) as I'm sure many others are. I know I might have to go the route of a software based content filter application as the hardware ones are quite lame in this respect. This is covered in the adjacent thread so enough already on that.

     Kevin

Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com

The Royal Bank of Scotland is registered in Scotland No 90312
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB
Regulated by the Financial Services Authority