RE: X10/Room Occupancy/SWMBO acceptance

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: X10/Room Occupancy/SWMBO acceptance
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 13:09:55 +0100

> Yeah, but SWMBO is going to bed because I am watching some crap TiVo
> recorded.

So you press the button then! :P

> She doesn't need to use a pronto or any other remote for that matter
in
> order to go to bed - so why should she in the 'improved' automated
home?

For exactly the reasons below! :)

> Maybe once you are fully automated then the "hassle" of picking up the
> remote and pressing "Nite Nite SWMBO" is more than compensated for by
the
> fact that all the required lights come on in front of swmbo and go out
> behind her and the electric blanket warms the bed etc etc
automagically,
> but
> until then, it would be an extra unnecessary (to her) step and why
should
> she have to do it?

That's how I sold it! ;)

> Hey, I can always wish for that can't I? :D

Yup, but it ain't happening.

> But to make it a s transparent as possible, you NEED to be able to
> manually
> override it.

Yes, but the idea is to make it so idiot proof that you don't need to.

> If I can have a light come on automatically and pleasantly surprise a
> guest/SWMBO the fine - but I also want it to work if they use the wall
> switch out of ignorance/fear/whatever of the auto activation....

Then you need momentary or X10 switches that means either extreme
ugliness or a rewire, take your pick. :/

> You mean when she wants to turn it on again?

Can do, dependent on the controller used.

> I was thinking that once SWMBO turns off the light that it would not
be
> automatically activated again that evening on the basis that she's
asleep
> and if she needs a p*sh, she'll probably want to do it in the dark
rather
> than blind both of us with lights!

Again can do if you transmit to the controller.

> Yes, but if I forget to tell it anything, I don't want to find that I
now
> can't turn on the light because the house doesn't think I should be
able
> or whatever.  This is one reaosn I'm only looking at 'simple'
automation
> of
> a few devices rather than full blown don't touch a thing, the house
does
> it
> all type automation.

This can be gotten around using "safety" routines, of which I use
several. ;)

> Who was it mentioned on the list a few months back about the house
sitter
> who dared to manually close the curtains, resulting in the house
getting
> totally confused and closing them during the day and opening them
again at
> night?   This is the sort of scenario I Want to avoid, so I will not
be
> automating my curtains!

Ian Lowe.

> Well yes for the ideal, but I think I can get away with the
semi-automatic
> "only activate by PIR if night time and if SWMBO hasn't turned off the
> light
> tonight" type scenario.  Okay - it means much less automation, and
indeed
> lights being left on longer (eg don't turn off light if no activity
until
> after midnight) but it also [should] mean that SWMBO has the lights on
> when
> she wants them on and off when she wants them off!

Or use the switch on the light! :)

K.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor