RE: Answer or the Penguin gets it!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Answer or the Penguin gets it!
  • From: "Justin" <justin@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 23:32:12 +0100

IIRC the Mandrake installer asks how many CD's you have. I guess if you
don't have No.3 you get a few less options of what can be installed?

FWIW, and as a Linux newbie myself, my top tip would be to get to grips with
the command line. It wasn't long before I was writing simple shell scripts,
setting up cron jobs etc. All basic stuff, but I think learning to use the
command line a bit has given me a better understanding of what is going on
'under the bonnet', be it with Redhat, Mandrake or whatever.
So, after many failed attempts (install - WTF - remove) to get on with Linux
over the last year or so, I now feel like I'm starting to 'get it'. What I'm
going to do with it once I have it is another story ;-)

I have also found webmin (www.webmin.com) to be very useful.

Cheers,
Justin.

PS. After trying loads of different distros over the last few months, I
would have to say I think Redhat is better too :) (faster, less 'fluff')

PPS. KDE is nicer than Gnome, IMO.