buzz buzz bloody buzz :(

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: buzz buzz bloody buzz :(
  • From: "BUTLER, Tony, FM" <tony.butler@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:37:48 +0100

Continuing on from last weeks exploits,  as I now had a buzzing site transformer, a 110v strip block & what was a buzzing 110v amp, I decided to hook them all together to see if the amp buzzed with this transformer like it did with the autotransformer I used before - though I still don't know why an autotransformer would cause buzzing in the first place :(

First though, lid off the site transformer to see if I can tighten the windings as Keith suggested.....nope, darned thing is fixed in place with some sort of resin, filling up 1/2 the box  - presumably to reduce the buzzing :(

Okay, swap the plug on the 110v strip for the ugly (but safe!) one I bought with the xformer and.... hey presto - it all works!
The amp doesn't buzz either.  Result!
Hooked up my audiotron to it & it works quite happliy for 1/2 hr, maybe 3/4 hr & then stops.
5A fuse in the amp is blown ......

hmmm, okay lets replace it..... Bugger - it's longer than a normal one.
So out with my trusty 5A fuse wire (last seen replacing the 100mA fuse that kept blowing in the AudioTron coz I didn't have a 125mA one!) solder it to the old fuse and connect up again.....
And the fuse blew a second time :(((((

What's up with this damned thing?????  I dunno.
Was happily playing music, didn't change the volume or anything & it's dead now :(

Anyone any thoughts on this?
The only thing I can think is maybe I wired the plug up incorrectly-  green E, white L, black N?
I dunno what to do now - I don't want to bung in a higher rated fuse in case I damage it further.
Could it be the xformer putting out too high a voltage?

Maybe I will need to take the amp to a pro (as the only pro I know is in Eire), in which case, does anyone know a repair man in/around Croydon who wouldn't be afraid to touch a 110v amp and, importantly, who wouldn't charge a fortune for the privilege?

cheers chaps,

(jinxed) Tony

Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor