Re: KAT5

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: KAT5
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 12:00:19 -0000

Hi Stuart,

Phil has already answered much of what you asked.

The big diagram indicates what will be possible when the switcher is
finished. It shows the switcher in a central location with sources
and destinations distributed throughout the home.

There is absolutely no reason why the switcher couldnt be in the AV
rack in the Home Cinema or whatever. Its down to user preference and
cable runs.

I am hoping the switcher will be ready by christmas because most of
the individual technologies already exist as prototypes or functional
units, eg, KAT5 links, my first switcher which has just completed its
6th year in a local pub, ir repeater.

What I have to do is make the IR repeater work with the current KAT5
modules. The original version used one of the pairs in the cable, but
since upgrading the KAT5 design to cover S-Video + Stereo that has
used all 4 pairs in the cable. I hope to have IR overlay working in
the next 2 weeks. I will then be getting new boards made for the
transmitters and receivers, as well as upgrade boards for the
existing KAT5 units. It will then be full steam ahead on the switcher.

The website is also in need of an update and thee will shortly be a
survey for people to fill in about their AV requirements.

Phils reference to me as "buddah" is partly due to my shape,
short,
fat, and no oil painting :-)

Unfortunately, for the forseeable future, I will not be devoting as
much time to this list as I normally do as I no longer have access to
POP3 email or some of the web bases mail interfaces as we are now
firewalled as part of our anti-virus measures ;-(

I will still contribute in the evenings but time will be limited and
many messages will only receive a quick glance to save time.

Direct requests for info are still welcome to keith@xxxxxxx but
PLEASE put a sensible subject line. Because of the new propagation
methods of the latest viruses and worms, I have become much more
liberal in the use of the DELETE key. Anything that looks slightly
suspect is binned instantly.

Keith (feeling cut off from the world )

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@v...>
wrote:

> Stuart,
>
> Maybe I can help you out a bit here ...
>
> Currently the KAT5 units are available as sender and receiver sets,
one
> sender can service multiple receivers. The KAT5 switcher is still
being
> developed by Keith (I hassle him pretty much daily about this) as
is the IR
> return. It has been muted that the switcher will be ready around
Xmas and
> we're all waiting with bated breath. (Actually Keith and I have been
> discussing some of the techy requirements for the switcher this
weekend so
> it is most definitely not vapour ware!)
>
> The idea behind the switcher is that you can route multiple sources
into it
> and send those sources to as many destinations that you need.
The "receiver"