RE: Oil watchman

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Oil watchman
  • From: "K. C. Li" <li@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 13:42:21 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Steven Dickson wrote:

> that's what I had hoped, don't really need to see the progress of the
oil
> dropping in the tank, just an output to comfort to trigger a response
when
> it gets very low, say at #1 on the scale.  I don't possess the
technical

Yes, that would be what most people want to start with. However, I am sure
it would also be useful to know the actual level and from which, rate of
consumption over a shorter period. The hardware interfacing would
practically be the same in both cases anyway.

> skills to hack it on the software side, but have access to skills and
> equipment to do the hardware bit.  Perhaps with a few pointers I can
get one
> of the smart bods here in work to do a bit of probing with a scope.

As we don't have a Watchman to take apart, I can only assume from the
information on their website that the display consists of a 7-segment LED
display. The interface can either be connected to the output pins driving
the LED driver chip or to the outputs of the LED driver chip itself.

The easiest way would be for us to obtain a Watchman and experiment with
it to see what can be done. I'll place an order for one.

Regards,

Kwong Li
li@xxxxxxx
Laser Business Systems Ltd.