Latest message you have seen: RE: CCTV DVR choices

If you thought Scan's prices were pretty good...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: If you thought Scan's prices were pretty good...
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 13:17:26 +0100

How depressing that I decided to check all these things AFTER i'd already
placed the order with Scan...

Anyway, as an excercise in self-deprecation, I did a price-check across
some
items I ordered yesterday from Scan, (I'm putting together a PC for one of
SWMBO's friends)

I needed to order:

A Keyboard (cheapest available, - that's what she asked for)
A Mouse (must be wheel mouse), - ditto
A pair of speakers, - ditto again.

The absolute cheapest I could get these items for at Scan was:

Keyboard:    £5    (£5.88)
Mouse:       £10   (£11.75)
Speakers:    £5.50 (£6.46)

I've just checked www.ebuyer.com for the same items (not necessarily the
same make/model though, - just the cheapest available)

I found:

Keyboard:    £3.10  (£3.65)
Mouse:       £2.67  (£3.14)
Speakers:    £3.97  (£4.67)

So, 3 out of 3 goes to Ebuyer after round 1...

Whilst I was ordering some bits anyway, I (obviously) added a few things
for
myself... (as you do!), So I ordered one of the 128MB PC133 modules that
were on Scan's today only page (ie about 5% less than the usual price),
which was £22  (£25.85).

I just price-checked that with Ebuyer... £19.99   (£23.49) (same spec)

Round 2 goes to Ebuyer as well then...

And finally, SWMBO just asked me to price up a printer for her mate as
well,
so I checked out todays "today only" page at Scan, where they
have a bunch
of Epson printers on offer... I liked the look of the 680, (the others look
like toys, and are as ugly as plug!) so I price-checked that against
Ebuyer...

Scan:     £69.50   (£81.66) (which is a TODAY ONLY price!)
Ebuyer:   £65.50   (£76.97) (Which is their normal everyday price)

So, Round 3 goes to Ebuyer as well....

Finally, none of the above prices include any element of the carriage
charges, which are also obviously important...

Scan:   £10 next day - fixed, no ifs, no buts, no choices...
Ebuyer: FREE on orders over £100, on orders below, then there is a choice
of
delivery options, which start with 3-working day at just £3.99, and then go
up to next day, and then up to Saturday (not sure of the costs for those
though)

So, Round 4 goes to Ebuyer as well!

On EVERY single count and comparison, Ebuyer beat Scan on like-for like
items. The only down-side is the courier company Ebuyer use is CRAP! (but
then so is the one Scan use) - (actually, I think they probably ALL are!).
so at best it's a draw on that one...

Makes you think.... (makes me think I;m going to check Ebuyer first from
now
on, and use that as my reference....)

No affiliation with them etc. - I have ordered with them before, and the
ONLY complaint was with the couriers, everything else was brilliant.

Paul G.