RE: Radio mics

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Radio mics
  • From: "Dan Hoehnen" <dhoehnen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 07:59:17 -0500

I have to agree completely with Paul's findings.  About 3 years ago I
purchased several wireless mic's and found the cheap ones to be of no use
at
all.  The least expensive professional mic system I could find was at Radio
Shack for about $170.  The mic is about the size of a pager.  The base unit
has 2 antennae, one of which is detachable so it can be placed further from
the base unit with a cable.  I bought 50ft of cable and put the antenna
about 20 or 30 feet from the base and got good coverage throughout my
house.
The 2 antennae separated by a distance (not 8 inches, I mean 20 feet or so)
seems to really help eliminate the dead spots and noise spots you tend to
get while walking around the house.

If I were doing this as a business, I would go for a "real"
profesional
system for $400 to $500.  Here in the US, Sure is a very popular
manufacturer of professional mic systems.

Well, just thought I'd share my thoughts on the 2 antennae system, which I
think is a good idea in an environment with a lot of obstacles.

Dan

in-between...

> At one end, (the affordable end!), there seemed to be a very
> small number of
> products available for around the £30-£50 mark, such as one availablie
in
> M***ins, for £39.95
>
> Then at the other end, there's the "proper" radio mic
systems,