RE: Suggestion for a project

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Suggestion for a project
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 21:45:50 +0100

Hi Frank,

Having similar features to an existing Hi-End system is something that we
all aspire to. Crestron, Lutron, Panja(Phast/AMX), LinnKnekt QED Systemline
etc. Everyone gets ideas or at least some form of inspiration from existing
products or concepts that they see, but as John said, to deliberately
reverse engineer a competitors product to aid the design of your own is
leaving you wide open to all sorts of legal action etc.

Its a slightly different situation if your business is installing and
maintaining equipment, whether White Goods, AV Equipment or Air
conditioning
etc. If during your daily work you consistantly attend/repair faults caused
by bad design and you decide to design your own system deliberately
avoiding
those pitfalls then you should be free of any comebacks unless you copy
someones design except for the weak link.

Whilst it would be nice to design the ultimate HA system that did
everything
I dont believe it is a realistic goal. We all have different desires and
budgets. I believe that what we design should fulfill the functions that we
desire of the unit, be it AV, Lighting, Environment Control(HVAC &
Power
monitoring), Security etc.

Each sub system should be designed to function without reliance on other
systems, but at the same time be able to integrate with whatever other sub
systems we design. We should also build in a mechanism for integrating with
other systems such as Comfort, HomeVision and other commercial and homebrew
systems via known interfaces such as Contact Closures, RS232, RS485, TCP/IP
etc.

To limit our designs to only work with other UKHA designs would severly
limit the appeal to a wider potential customer base. I would love to have a
high end system like Crestron. The starting price for the controllers isnt
too bad. I have a price list from a couple of years ago and a Crestron
MiniSystem was about £1500. The catch is when you want to expand it. Every
expansion card was either £389 or £549. Same for keypads. Even a simple IR
Emitter was £39 and was no different to the Xantech emitters or the one
that
I build for less than a quid (for which James kindly created the tutorial).
Just to buy the expansion cards to replicate the ports supplied on the
Minisystem would cost about the same as another 2 Minisystems. For a non
corporate environment I believe Homevision is actually a better solution.

We do have the required skills within the group and we are now geting
focused towards a common goal. I believe the next few months will see some
serious advances in the range of options available to the UK Automators.

Keith