Re: [Project] Kbd/LCD device

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [Project] Kbd/LCD device
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 06:41:25 -0000

> > There are already LCD/KBD dumb terminals available if you wnat to
go
> > down that route.
>
> Erm, that's hardly the point though is it? Just about everything

Agreed, point taken

> > >From my stand point the LCD/KBD is not ditched its just
posponed

> What I'm trying to get across is that by designing each device in a
> modular way, each component of the design can be crafted to
encapsulate
> only sufficient functionality to do its job. Taking the LCD module
as an
> example again, the low level transport protocol and software can be
> worked on independently of the UI architecture and back-end control
> system, so there's no reason the two projects can't be run in
parallel.

A very good idea, but I am worried that without a centeral controler
built or designed we could end up with a device that cannot get used,
perhaps we need to work on three tasks, Lighting, LCD & control
program

> Of course, in an ideal world, the control protocol would come
first; it
> is the common language by which all these devices would
communicate, and
> ought to be agreed before any hardware is built or software written.
> What's SNAP like these days? Has anybody looked at it recently? I
> reviewed a very early draft a while back, and it had significant
holes
> in it, but I'm guessing they've had plenty of time to sort it out.

I used it in my Lighting controler but droped it in favor of
something more simple because I ran out of space in my PIC's memory.

John