RE: Re: Foundations are in!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Foundations are in!
  • From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 11:21:03 +0100

> I have thought that X-10 systems were a way of communicating through
> the mains wiring. If we use this system, why would we need so much
> Cat 5? In other words, shouldn't it be one or the other (to some
> extent - there will obviously be some overlap)?

No.  It's BOTH.  You can't use X10 for your LAN or IR distribution or low
voltage control etc.

> If we run mucho Cat 5 (and Ian talks about 3 nodes each with 4 Cat5
> cables in some rooms) how are the cables terminated in the room? Do
> we have banks of sockets in ranks across the walls?

As an example I ran 8 CAT5s to the back of my computers in the Study.  I
have three PCs in there now, plus one for the ISDN plus another to send
movies out of the video-server over KAT5.  So already I'm down to 3!

Have a look at the Clipsal range of faceplates just arrived at
www.letsautomate.com  You can get SIX outlets into a double wall box or
FIVE
into a single!  These can be a mixture of CAT5, F-Type,Coax etc.