Re: OT: In Car MP3

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OT: In Car MP3
  • From: geraint@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 21:23:34 -0000

whats the capacity hard drive wise now...

as i have 74gig of mp3's with nearly 80 mp3 cd's waiting t  go=20
on,,,it's not quite rip and forget,,,but as the new 144gig hard=20
drives appear in a couple of months,,,that may all change.

and as the kenwood has 4v line outs,,,i've never heard a better=20
system yet,,,forget the onboard amplification we are talking dsp and=20
multiamp setups....

I agree about the software etc....but be honest...when the big names=20
start doing this very soon,,,,who are going t  sell most Sony, Alpine=20
etc or Rio ?

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Mark Kaye" <mark@m...> wrote:
> [...]
Clarion=20
> > etc,,,and that combined with tft screens and sat nav is an=20
awesome=20
> > prospect.....
>=20
> Have t  disagree here!  Why would you need a CD when you have enough
> space t  fit your entire music collection on?  650Mb will never be
> enough to d  that!  That's the whole point of the empeg and the=20
reason
> some people don't 'get' it.  You don't need anything else (except
> perhaps a radio which the empeg has as a low cost option) when you=20
can
> take your entire music collection wherever you go.  I am planning on
> using it as a streaming server for DDAR's when I move house in=20
November
> and get to d  a lot more HA stuff.  That way I can dispense with=20
CD's
> entirely and just archive them away.  When I get a new one, just=20
rip,
> upload and archive again :)  The empeg means I can take my entire
> collection wherever I go.  Now that's cool.
>=20
> Like I said, the hardware is a gem, but the software really makes it
> special.  So much versatility - they even provide a free developer=20
image
> for the unit so you can write your own code for it.  There will=20
always
> be a market for the empeg, as the software is a _huge_=20
differentiator.
> With CD MP3 players you have little versatility with regard t
> playlists, etc.  Unless, that is, you want to stay in the same CD=20
based
> 'box'.  It's when you think out of the 'box' that the empeg appeals=20
> much.
>=20
> When you consider that you can buy an empeg now for not much more=20
than
> the price of a good CD MP3 head unit + cost of a decent external=20
CDRW I
> think it's a pretty good deal!!  When you then consider that with=20
Rio
> behind them empeg can now source components in bulk and market t  a=20
much
> larger audience the price will only come down further.  Decent head
> units have never been less than =A3400 or so, empeg are already
close=20