RE: Re: OT: In Car MP3

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: OT: In Car MP3
  • From: "Mark Kaye" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 22:13:02 +0100

> From: geraint@xxxxxxx=20
> [mailto:geraint@xxxxxxx]
>=20
> don't get me wrong,,,empeg is fantastic, and i would love t  have=20
> bought one,,,,but it suffered from the lack of backwards=20
> compatibility...i.e "normal" cd etc,,,,
>=20
> I do beleive that within a couple of years, this will be the way=20
> forward by all the other manufacturers,,such as Alpine, Sony,
Clarion=20
> etc,,,and that combined with tft screens and sat nav is an awesome=20
> prospect.....

Have t  disagree here!  Why would you need a CD when you have enough
space t  fit your entire music collection on?  650Mb will never be
enough to d  that!  That's the whole point of the empeg and the reason
some people don't 'get' it.  You don't need anything else (except
perhaps a radio which the empeg has as a low cost option) when you can
take your entire music collection wherever you go.  I am planning on
using it as a streaming server for DDAR's when I move house in November
and get to d  a lot more HA stuff.  That way I can dispense with CD's
entirely and just archive them away.  When I get a new one, just rip,
upload and archive again :)  The empeg means I can take my entire
collection wherever I go.  Now that's cool.

Like I said, the hardware is a gem, but the software really makes it
special.  So much versatility - they even provide a free developer image
for the unit so you can write your own code for it.  There will always
be a market for the empeg, as the software is a _huge_ differentiator.
With CD MP3 players you have little versatility with regard t
playlists, etc.  Unless, that is, you want to stay in the same CD based
'box'.  It's when you think out of the 'box' that the empeg appeals so
much.

When you consider that you can buy an empeg now for not much more than
the price of a good CD MP3 head unit + cost of a decent external CDRW I
think it's a pretty good deal!!  When you then consider that with Rio
behind them empeg can now source components in bulk and market t  a much
larger audience the price will only come down further.  Decent head
units have never been less than =A3400 or so, empeg are already close t
that ball park but with a much greater feature list (I mentioned
parametric EQ, try finding that anywhere outside of a pro recording
studio).

P.S.  Who wants to carry on juggling CD's in the car?  Not me ;)