Re: Modems supporting BT Caller ID

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Modems supporting BT Caller ID
  • From: Kevin Hawkins <tivo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:45:54 +0100

Title: Re: [ukha_d] Modems supporting BT Caller ID
Stuart,
        I used a Hayes Accura for a while but was getting only about 80% CLI reporting of calls (that contained CID info). I changed t a Solwise / Crucible Meteor (or Pegasus) Caller ID unit and now get close t 100%. These units are not modems (they are just caller id units though. There are some other plus points as well (dependant on which model you buy).
        1) They can report dialled digits on the line as well (so you can identify outgoing calls too)
        2) They report the complete CLI packet information. The BT spec for this (SIN227) includes such things as >Called< number identity and Calling Party Name although currently BT have not implemented this- :(. Also a few other bits of info ARE currently sent  eg Date, Time, Payphone, International, Witheld, Unavailable, Ringback, Operator, Message Waiting etc. So if BT ever get around to sending more info then you can get at it. Most modems have a fixed reporting format so would require a firmware update.
        3) Some models have line seizure control using a subset of the Hayes AT command set. Also voice in/out allowing recording or placing of computer generated speech on t the phone line.
        4) Solwise , although a small company, are really helpful - one of the  nice companies t deal with.

        Some negatives - they are not modems so you would need a separate one of these, and the CLIP format is not supported by 'out of the box' software as some modem caller ID units are - however this 'standard format' turns out to be not so standard anyway s this means few UK modems work out of the box. Most HA software can be scripted t get the BT CLIP packet info in t them. I use ACE and have done this (Dan , the author may add direct support in the future). Several people here use HomeSeer and have also I believe succeeded in interfacing the Meteor units.
        I am assuming you have read the current threads with regard to another CLI modem that several group members are playing with. Thread entitled (Result!! - Caller ID Modem for £15) and (Modems supporting BT Caller ID).
        One other point - the reliability of CLI units seems to depend very much on the phone line it is connected to. My Accura gave very different results on the two lines I had even with no extension wiring connected on either. One was 80%'ish and one under 50%. The extension wiring and the other attached devices (that increased the REN loading on the line) all decrease the reliability, particularly of detected dialled dtmf. Also not all units support CID reporting during a call ie if you have call waiting.

Links:

http://www.solwise.co.uk/cid.htm
http://www.crucible-technologies.com

        Kevin

Hi,

I'm putting together a spec for a dedicated home automation PC and
plan to have a facility to display a list of calls and so need a
modem (preferably an internal one) that will support BT Caller ID.
I've done a quick search of the group (which I've not been following
for a while) and also looked at the Caller ID FAQ link on Mark
McCalls site and both seem t suggest that I'll have difficulty
finding one.

Is this correct?

If anyone knows of a reliable model and where to get it can they
please enlighten me.

cheers,

Stuart Neal