RE: Help with PC/ VB

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Help with PC/ VB
  • From: "Doogie Brodie" <doogiebrodie@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 15:20:00 +0100

> play a WAV file, or run a specific program. All voicemail messages are
> played as WAV files, so it has been suggested, that I get
> someone who knows
> a bit about VB, t  write a program that will make my PC play
> all wav files
> in a specific folder.....
>
>   Can anyone help with this, or let me know how I woul dgo
> about it, (taking
> int  consideration, I know diddly about VB)..... or does
> anyone know of a
> cheap (free even) program that I can get t  do this ?

Hows about this - ok it t ok me a wee while to get it t  work properly, due
t  the fact I was trying t  get media player 7 t  play when it doesn't seem
t  like command line options very much..... :-(

Anyways - VB is way overkill - you'd either need to install the development
environment, or have someone compile the code for you, plus install all the
wonderful runtime librarys, thought about VBScript, but too many issues
with
lack of proper VB commands, synchronously calling, waiting for the program
t  terminate etc..... hows about this.......

Make a new batch file (Start/Run/Notepad c:\playvoicemail.bat)
Paste in the following line

for %%a in (c:\winnt\media\*.wav) do "c:\program files\windows media
player\mplayer2.exe" /play /close %%a

Replace c:\winnt\media\ with the path t  your .wav files, replace the path
t  media player appropriately

Exit Notepad

Set your program to run this one line batch file

Stand back in amazement as this does exactly what you want..... ;->

Of course, if you want to add any bells and whistles, tough..... but if
playing all .WAV's in a folder is all you want to do, you probably won't
find a simpler way.

<NOTES>

This works fine on my work W2K box, YMMV. Worst case W98 will loop through
and open 20 copies of media player, instead of one, which then closes, then
open the next one etc.

If you don't put the command inside a batch file, you need to use %a
instead
of %%a - DOS is great like that :-)

</NOTES>

Hope that helps, sorry it t ok so long!