Re: Controllerless distributed automation

<snip>
>I'm thinking more along the lines of each device like a light switch or
>thermostat having its own processor, its own macro or program storage,
>and its own knowledge of its environment and neighbouring devices.
>
>There's still a lot of thinking to do at this stage as to how it'll all
>work.  I think I'll maybe have to knock up a quick web page with a more
>detailed description or summat :-)

That sounds pretty ambitious! I suppose that technically it shouldn't be
too
difficult to have individual processors/programs for each device - though I
would guess that would involve a lot of design work and it'll make each
unit
fairly pricey (though relative to UK X10 modules.....) I would guess your
main problem would be communication - what kind of information does each
device need to have about others, and what doesn't it need. When a device
makes an announcement - "hello, I've just been switched on" etc
etc - how
does it know that this device is related to it? You'd practically have to
have custom programs for each device. It would be impressive if you can get
it to work, though.

Of course, if you were *really* ambitious you could probably find some way
of linking all the devices to operate in parallel as one large computer
with
massive redundancy - one device is elected co-ordinator and this role can
be
taken over by any other if it drops out. Hmmm.... Anyone got 5 years spare
to try that one? ;-).

Oliver.