RE: CD players

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: CD players
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 19:04:55 +0100

Apart from your blatant attempt to start a flame war, you're missing the
point ;-)

We start with the assumption that there's a market for "high-end"
stereo
audio. "High-end" is a maligned term but basically it means
"you keep on
spending money until you can't hear the difference any more!"

To make the "best" audio player, you can either take an existing
specification and push it to the limit, or you can write a new
specification that's optimised for what you want.

- The CD specification is OLD, and written at a time when 16 bit,
44.1Khz replay was pushing the barriers of engineering.

- DVD-V is better, but still a bit of a compromise, and still doesn't
have enough resolution.

- DVD-A is a nasty cludge, primarily because of the fairly horrible way
that anti-piracy technology was implemented.

If you choose the new specification path, then you have to have to
persuade both a hardware manufacturer, and software manufacturers to
provide stuff that supports your new format.  If you're Sony, then you
can do both internally ;-)

- SACD is optimised for MUSIC, and very good at it.

I _don't_ have an SACD player. This is because I believe that the time
is not yet right to buy, and that price/performance will change
dramatically in the next 12 months. For the same reason, I only got into
DVD-V about 18 months ago, once the Pioneer second-generation players
were being sold off cheap to make way for the third generation (I have a
DVD-717).

Furthermore, the most impressive sound I have ever heard (and remember,
I was a classical recording engineer in the early 90s before I switched
to IT), is from a Linn Sondek CD-12. A CD player, but one that has a
5-figure price tag, not a 3-figure one ;-)

Regards,

Mark Harrison
Head of Systems, eKingfisher