RE: OTish: WAP Phones...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OTish: WAP Phones...
  • From: "Adam Stevens" <adam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 13:57:21 +0100

> 1. You dial into a PC (with a standard modem) on your network from
your
> phone
> 2. You run IIS, and have added some mime types
> 3. You select (eg) http://my.com/wap/wappage.wml and
it displays the
> content.

Yes, that's it in a nutshell.  The only problem with the way I have it
setup
at the moment being if the cable modem goes down (which, being Telewest, it
does from time to time!), then I can't access the WAP site, even though
it's
on the same physical network as I'm connected to via dial-in.  That's
because the WAP phone needs the Internet connection to connect to a WAP
Gateway... If I ran a local WAP gateway, then that would (should?!) get
around that problem - However, for the few times the cable modem goes down,
it's hardly worth the effort!

The PC with the incoming modem on, is just set-up as a standard RAS server
(and although currently is running w2k server, was until a week or so ago
just running w2k Pro)... You don't need to do anything special to the modem
settings to allow WAP dial-in.

As another matter of interest, if you use a dynamic DNS service which
allows
sub domains (such as dyndns.org), or use more than one dynamic DNS service,
then you can use host headers in IIS to setup multiple websites, once of
which could be "wap.<youraccount>.dyndns.org" - Saves
having to use sub
directories (although that works just as well).  For another example of
this, take a look at http://zz9.dnsq.org
and http://zz9.dyndns.org - Both
sites run on the same server, and have the same IP (and port), but IIS uses
host headers to display the correct web site (my cable modem has been a
little dodgy today, so you might not be able to connect to either of those
sites! :-). (http://wap.zz9.dyndns.org/ is again
just another host header
site on the same server).

Adam.