RE: Another Nail in the MP3 coffin?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Another Nail in the MP3 coffin?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha.diyha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 16:15:24 +0100

Hi Paul,

>It depends if you want to move away from MP3.

I don't - I like them as they are!

>A P90 will play MP3 if doing
>nothing
>else and a P133 or higher will make a great playback machine.

>Hmmm... I tried a P133 (old IBM Thinkpad laptop), it wasn't really 100%
up
>to the job - used to drop-out during MP3 playback occasionally.
>(occasionally enough to be annoying!)

Agreed, but my Tosh P133 can play 2 MP3's at the same time but it does
struggle a bit at times. Cant do anything else at the same time though. My
point was that when I put Media Player 7 on it it died :-(

>I'm staying loyal to MP3  :-)
>

>Likewise, - but it does kinda make you worry that we might be in a
shrinking
>minority if the MP3 format doesn't continue to evolve as well... With
BIG
>guns like microsoft going full steam ahead with their own alternative,
we
>all know from recent history what usually happens...

>My concern is that MP3 development seems to have "stopped".
It's just a bit
of a
>worry that when something stops evolving, it usually dies....

Didnt development of DOS stop some time ago....still plenty of people using
it. The problem with ongoing development is that you will eventually
alienate some of your users. The only way to reduce file size is to
increase
compression, that needs more resources to uncompress.

Whilst MP3 is not to everones taste, it does the job for me.

Keith