RE: X10 mods, was: This Damn Country!

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: X10 mods, was: This Damn Country!
  • From: Keith Doxey <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 23:26:39 +0100

>From other postings that I have seen, the caps are the biggest problem.

Because of the higher working voltage they are often physically too large.

Just looked at the bits I bought to mod my own imported modules, bought the
stuff nearly 3 years ago and still havent got round to doing the mods. I
dont have any 330nF caps but I do have 220nF and 100nF (0.22uF and 0.1uF if
you prefer). I seem to remember that I couldnt find 330nF so decided to use
a 220n and 100n in parallel giving 320nF which is as near as makes no
difference.

I dont have the circuit diagram to hand with the mod details but from
memory the cap in question is the main voltage dropper for the power
supply. Using 220n will not do any damage but may not pass enough current
for the circuit to operate. Even if it does work it may be unreliable. DO
NOT USE 470nF. you will destroy the module as the power supply will be too
great.

The type of capacitor DOES matter. I chose CLASS X which are rated for
direct connection to the mains.
Rapid Electronics ( 01206 751166 for a catalogue) stock suitable Class X
capacitors in 100n and 220n values.You will notice that for class X the
voltage rating is 275V AC this is the same as 400V DC so they are suitable.

Maplin no longer list the capacitors that I bought. In fact their current
catalogue lists bugger all that is useful :-(

I have a page on my website that says how good Maplin are as a supplier.
Sadly that is no longer true since they decided to become a Consumer
Electronics retailer instead of a high quality component supplier. I didnt
receive my normal trade copy of their latest catalogue. I rang to ask why
and they said that I had to spent a minimum of ?100 per catalogue period to
maintain the free supply. I pointed out that they had just lost orders from
me worth over ?200 because they discontinued the parts I wanted (TSOP 1838
being one of them)

If you normally buy from RS thenthey also do suitable caps. just use 100n +
220n in parallel but as I said the physical constraints present a problem.

I have no intention of using the Lamp and Appliance modules that I got from
the states as plug in modules because of the pysical differences. I intend
to put the lamp modules into suitable plastic cases stuffed into the bases
of table lamps so they appear like normal lamps. the appliance modules will
fit inside appliances or flourescent light fittings.

Hope that helps

Keith