Re: Sensing stuff

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Sensing stuff
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 10:23:40 GMT

>I think this is the main problem I would have with such a system the
common
>electrical latch systems used for door release are useless as a defence
>against forced intrusion.
>
>Does anyone know of any secure door locking mechanisms that have an
>electrical/electronic opening system? Insurance company approval is
>probably
>the main sticking point :( (5 lever mortice locks on all exterior
doors)

>Des Gibbons

This, surely, is one of the easier problems to overcome? - would not the
"best" from a security point of view, be a multi-point locking
system, with
shoot-bolts engaging at various points around the door (4, 5 or 6-point
should be quite adequate I'd have thought), and is this not exactly what
just about every double-glazing company trumpets about all their fancy
front
doors? - these use a concealed cam and lever arrangement to engage all the
shoot-bolts simultaneously from a single lock mechanism.

How hard can it be to replicate this electronically with a bunch of
solenoids positioned around the door frame, shooting bolts into the door
edge when the door is closed? Connect all the solenoids to a single circuit
and they all operate concurrently. Obviously, you'd have to build in some
form of "failsafe", or override mechanism to guard against power
failures
and the like, but again, this would be childs play to the good fellows on
this list....

Paul G.

@Backup- Protect and Access your data any time, any where on the net.
Try @Backup FREE and recieve 300 points from mypoints.com Install now: