RE: Protect and survive

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Protect and survive
  • From: "Dan Hoehnen" <dhoehnen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 11:37:37 -0400

> > I do not know what is going on, but it could be something as
> simple as HS
> > checking to see if there is a newer version available.  I am
about to
> > automate checking for a new version in ACE too doing about the
> same thing.
> > If this is a concern, I would like to know.
> >
> Dan
>
> It concerns me that I wouldn't have known if I wasn't running
> ZoneAlarm2...
> I don't mind if an application wants to check for updates, providing:
>
>     1. I can switch it off
>     2. I know that it's happening e.g. a message box with "ACE is
now
> checking for a newer version"
>     3. If I want it to check 'silently' then I can - but by
> default it would
> have to be 'noisy'.
>
> A.

All very good points.  I can do these things:

1) Default is NOT to check for updates.  But you can turn it on from a
config screen.
2) When checking for updates, ACE displays a message saying what it is
doing.
3) You also have the option for a "silent" update (no message
window)

Thank you,
Dan

Install today: