Re: Occupancy Sensors - Bik 'People Detector'

Occupancy sensing for light triggerring with Comfort is something we get
asked quite regularly, PIR's are just not clever enough at this.
We thought we had the perfect answer when one of our customers discovered
the 'People Detector' at www.bik.com
it costs $50 each if you buy 2 or more, but read on, this is more a topic
for debate than an advert.

quote: The People Detector is a low cost, micro-electronic based device
that
can detect the presence of both moving and stationary objects through solid
materials. Its ability to operate through any non-conductive material
(upholstery, carpets, sheet rock, wood) permits complete invisibility. The
sensor functions by detecting minute changes in an ultra-low-power electric
field generated between two remotely locatable antenna electrodes. Its
range
is adjustable from inches to over 12 feet and can be used to cover an
entire
room.

The product has been tested by one of our installers,  Taybell Alarms in
Leeds with Comfort www.taybell.co.uk and after many experiments they are
getting some mixed/reasonable results in just one of the modes 'Transmit
Mode', but it does involve using insulated aviary wire mesh under the
floors
or carpets and a wire aerial in the ceiling and requires retuning after
furniture is added to the room. The basic principle is that when you are in
the room you are breaking the 'earth' potential between the two aerials.
You
can then add the BIK detectors relay output to a Comfort zone and program
the zone On and Off response which can switch the light on if dark upon
entering(Zone On response), and off after say 5 mins of leaving the room
(Zone OFF response).

It means that you can have the lights reliably switch on and off when the
first and last person enters the room and if you want the lights to stay
OFF
when sleeping in the bedroom, you leave out the mesh under the bed. So you
could even have it so that getting out of bed during 'Night Mode' just
switches the bathroom light on but in other modes switches the Bedroom
light
on, using the get mode action on the zone which has the bik connected. one
drawback is  if you touch a radiator or other earthed appliance, the bik
can
no longer sense you. This can be useful though for the bedroom application
by earthing the bed leg.

They spent days testing the product in the 'Shunt Mode and found it highly
unstable and more sensitive to the room dynamics such as moving furniture
about. Transmit mode has very little documentary information which was
dissapointing as it is the mode which promises better reslts.
Also they have a reveiw of the product which is 2 years old and no updates
have been offered even though the product has been updated last year with
higher sensitivity (17% increase).
http://www.shed.com/articles/TN.proximity.html

I should add this is NOT a recommendation as you WILL experience
difficulties in setting it up and their UK support committment is
uncertain.
BIk haven't replied to Taybell's emails or their message left on their
answerphone, but it may offer some answers for the difficult area of
occupancy sensing. If anyone knows any other occupancy detectors, please
let
us know.

Andrew Roberts
Comfort Home Controls