Re: WANTED : Whole House Component Suggestions

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: WANTED : Whole House Component Suggestions
  • From: Nigel Orr <Nigel.Orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:16:40 +0100

At 13:08 16/06/00 +0100, you wrote:
>- CD Player (MultiDisk between 100-200 CDs) perhaps =A3300

Only if you can't stand MP3's, or wish to keep strictly within UK
copyright=
=20
law.  And I'm not saying either of those are bad reasons...

>- PC-based MP3 Jukebox ?

Windows or Linux?  If the latter, look on http://www.mirror.ac.uk, don't=20
know what's available for Windows.

>- Whole-House MultiZone Amplifier setup (6 zones) [or reluctantly
SingleZo=
ne
>Amp?}

I'm going for single zone, with any room able to 'contribute', listen
to,=20
or completely ignore the central source and use local stuff (eg the=20
computer) instead.  That will cover my needs, but there are only 2 of us=20
(plus the dog!), so we don't really need different sources in each room-=20
it's just handy not to miss too much when you pop to the loo, or go and=20
make a cup of tea...

And I think I've figured out how to let Comfort override whatever is
coming=
=20
through, but I've not tried it yet...

> - In-Ceiling Speakers (still haven't made any formal conclusions about
>cost/benefit of =A33 vs =A3100 speakers, but with 6 zones I can't
afford m=
ore
>than perhaps 2 pairs of good speakers (=A3100/pair), 4 pairs of
'backgroun=
d'
>quality speakers (=A320/pair) ).

Do they have to be ceiling mounted?  My favourite little speakers are
still=
=20
JBL Control 1's.  Sadly Richer Sounds don't seem to stock them any more=20
(they were a bargain at =A370 per pair), but they are still available=20
(usually around =A3150/pair or less), sound nice, and are available as a=20
ceiling mount.  On the cheap speakers side of things, I've got a 5"
marine=
=20
speaker (white grille, ceiling mount) in the bathroom, it cost about =A315=
=20
from Farnell, it's a bit harsh but not too bad.

>- Speaker cable suggestions for the above system

2.5mm^2 T&E mains cable, preferably white if most of your mains wiring
is=20
grey, or vice versa, to give you a quick way of distinguishing them (but=20
don't go cutting cables without double checking what they are=20
carrying!).  You can use 1mm or 1.5 if that's all you have to hand, or
it=20
needs to go through a small hole.

Advantages: _very_ cheap, plenty thick enough, easily available
Disadvantages: Doesn't look very nice, not the flattest speaker cable=20
available, probably hasn't even been reviewed by What Hi-Fi...

>Anything else I should consider or am missing?

Might be worth looking at 100V line speaker stuff- most zoned amplifiers=20
I've seen are for commercial installation, and so are 100V line.  It
also=20
means that you can easily get speaker volume controls for each room,=20
relatively cheaply.

Ordinary amps will probably be cheaper and better than zoned ones, but
if=20
you need IR remote control of all the rooms separately, and don't want
to=20
DIY it, then you'll have to go with them.  If you can find one, an IR=20
controlled audio matrix would be ideal- I've not seen a commercial one, so=
=20
it's on the 'to do too' list!  Then you could just use any old amplifier=20
for each channel.  I reckon something like 8 inputs, 8 outputs would be
fin=
e...

I currently have 3 rooms running at the same level, with just overall=20
control of the signal for all 3 (just because I'm using an old amp that
I=20
had around), and it works fine.  I'm planning to allow separate control,=20
sometime...

Nigel

Failed tests, classes skipped, forgotten locker combinations.=20
Remember the good 'ol days
http://click.egroups.com/1/5531/7/_/2065/_/961402853/