Re: Security systems

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Security systems
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 13:28:08 GMT

Thanks Nigel.

I'll check out those sites in due course.

I'm also taking a good long look at the "Comfort" system that Ray
Barnett mentioned (thanks Ray) - www.comfort.org.uk - this looks pretty
good too. (This is a fully wired system)

Cheers again.

Paul.

>From nigel.orr@xxxxxxx Fri Feb 26 05:08:06 1999
>Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 13:06:59 +0000
>To: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
>From: Nigel Orr <nigel.orr@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: Security systems
>
>At 12:43 26/02/99 GMT, you wrote:
>>Yup, unfortunately, all my walls are solid brick, (it's an 80 year
old

>Mine's 100, equally solid- best part is that someone has built a
cupboard
>on one side of one of the fireplaces, so I've got a vertical cable run
>from
>under floor to roof ;-)
>
>As you've got access to floor voids, you're laughing!  Keep the cables
away
>from mains/speaker cables, BTW- that goes for all low voltage stuff
(cat-5,
>line level audio, video, RF etc)- if you can't keep them 3 ft away, try
>make them run perpendicular rather than parallel
>
>>columns that go from the cellar to the loft, that I'm contemplating
>>using as cable ducts between floors (they're not used for heating
flue's

>Might not be very appealing for future purchasers, and don't forget to
>ventilate the chimney top and bottom to stop damp, but if you're
planning
>to be there a long time, it should work...
>
>>or anything else) - I'm going to be attempting to put in a couple
of
>>CAT5 and co-ax runs from my first floor study to the cellar (where
I'm

>A _cellar_... I would kill for a cellar- I've just got an extended
>underfloor void under the ground floor ;-(
>
>>I'd certainly appreciate any URL's for useful sources of wiring
info,

>http://asa.faq.simsware.com/faq.htm
>http://www.basshome.com/rj31x.html
>http:
>//nevets.simsware.com/schem.htm
>http://www.xmission.com/~rhowe/guide/guide.h
>tm
>
>That's my fave home security pointers- some of them have _very_ cunning
>techniques for hiding cables in window frames etc, which I wouldn't
have
>thought of in a million years...
>
>Anyway, it sounds like you'd have no probs hiding cables in floor voids
etc
>(which makes maintenance and replacement easier anyway), so wired might
be
>the much easier way to go.  Just lay an extra cat-5 network for the
>alarm... simple :-)
>
>Nigel
>--
>Nigel Orr                  Research Associate   O   ______
>        Underwater Acoustics Group,              o / o    \_/(
>Dept of Electrical and Electronic Engineering     (_   <   _ (
>     University of Newcastle Upon Tyne             \______/ \(

Internet FileZone: Always FREE!
Instantly store & access your valuable PC files on the net,
from any Web browser.
SIGN UP NOW - http://offers.egroups.com/click/235/0

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ukha_d