Re: Comfort and X10

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Comfort and X10
  • From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:07:12 +0100

> The PC interface still isn't perfect:

Very true Ray!

I think this is an area where the system needs to be improved.  The
software
is pretty un-friendly at the moment. I think the developers could do with
going the the HomeVision website (http://www.csi3.com) and downloading their
software to see just how friendly event driven HA software can be.

I would have to say that with the level of support coming from Comfort this
is bound to improve.  The company has a marvelous attidude to its customers
and the constant development of the product is very impressive.

> Where it falls down is in
> features such as voice control and touch screen support -

These are all features that can easily be "bolted on" to a
Comfort system.
I don't think you can expect Comfort to do all these things.

> When touch sensitive flat screens become a little cheaper I may
> experiment with a PC interface to Comfort using X10 as the messaging
> protocol (a bit messy but about the only way at the moment).

Have you seen the TouchLinc LCD controller?  Sounds like just what you're
after!
It's available now in the UK from Mike Huggins' new on-line HA store...
http://www.letsautomate.com

> Bear in mind too that internal features of Comfort are very easy to
use:
> you don't need to worry about configuring a modem to interpret tones
> from from a phone to provide remote control by phone: Comfort does all
> that for you easily...

Agreed.  This basic integration with the phone is excellent.  The phone
control alone (both internal and external to the house) warrant the price
of
the system and this is only one part of its impressive feature list!

M.

SIGN UP NOW FOR FREE HOME IMPROVEMENT HOW-TO'S
Receive seasonal how-to's and climate-specific advice via e-mail.
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/131

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications