Re: TV and sound over CAT5

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: TV and sound over CAT5
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <jtankard@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:26:23 +0100

Keith I am a bit of a novice in this department, please explain more about
balanced audio. I want to feed my HiFi from a MP3 source, I dont want to
have a computer in my HiFi stack if I can help it, can I use this to feed a
output from a sound card to my amp ? what cable should be used ? is there a
detectable loss in quality ? over what distance ?

Sorry for all the basic questions

Best regards

John. (still working on the lighting system. Now talking to HomeVision !)
jtankard@xxxxxxx

BALANCED
> AUDIO running everywhere. With balanced audio, earth loops become a
thing
> of the past and any interference becomes self cancelling. You can
> even use
> unscreened cable if you wish but the cables are generally
> screened just to
> provide an extra obstacle to the interference.
>
> When I first visited Mark in Northern Ireland I demonstrated how
> resisitant
> to interference balanced audio really is. I first set up a balanced
audio
> link between a sound source and his amplifier. I then deliberately
> connected the output of a CD player via a 300 ohm resistor to one lead
of
> the twisted pair carrying the balanced signal. The CD was plainly
audible
> above the original source. I then connected the CD player to both
> wires of
> the twisted pair via individual 300 ohm resistors and only the
original
> source was audible.
>
> To prove that both signals were indeed present on the cable I
> connected the
> amplifier to one wire of the twisted pair at the receiver end
> instead of to
> the output of the balanced line receiver. Both signals were audible.
Then
> just as a party piece I used both wires of the twisted pair fed via
300
> resistors into the amp, the original wanted signal being balanced
(equal
> but opposite) cancelled out and only the CD player was audible with a
bit
> of hum due to the earth loop problems that normally affect unbalanced
> connections.
>
> The level of interference I introduced was far in excess of anything
you
> would normally get in even the most hostile of environments and the
> hardware used cost under 10 quid. If I had the cable I could have run
it
> over 1km with no noticable difference. Now do that with a 1 metre 99
quid
> phono lead :-))
>
> The best thing I ever read in a Hifi magazine was
> "Stop spending money when YOU cant notice any improvement"
> It works for me.
>
> If you feel that you need the Audiophile cables thats fine by me,
after
> all, its your money.
>
> Keith
>
> Keith Doxey
> http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith
> Krazy Keith's World of DIY Home Automation
>
> While I wouldn't dream of taking issue with on your electrical
knowledge
> Keith, I'm afraid I couldn't let this pass without comment.
>
> While QED 79 or 46 strand is more than adequate for piping
"audio" around
> the house, for example a pair of speakers set high up into the wall in
the
> kitchen, bathroom or bedroom for background music, audiophile cables
do
> have
> their place.
>
> <BIG SNIP>

> Click Here to apply for a NextCard Internet Visa and start earning
> FREE travel in HALF the time with the NextCard Rew@rds Program.
> http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/449
>

> eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
> http://www.egroups.com -