Re: UK light switches available

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: UK light switches available
  • From: Nigel Orr <nigel.orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 15:11:01 +0000

At 14:05 06/01/99 -0000, you wrote:
>During the 70's when the price of copper went through the roof there
>was a breif spell when lighting circuits were wired differently.

It is recommended that houses are rewired every 20-25 years, so anyone with
70's wiring should probably be thinking of a rewire...

>With that system each switch had 3 Live & Earth cables
In,Switched,Out
>Each ceiling rose only had Neutral, Switched Live and Earth.

But it is interesting to know about it- I've not come across any such
installations (fortunately...)

>Also if they had produced a module that replaced the ceiling rose, what
>would happen with light fixtures such as spotlamp fittings and
chandeliers
>that require the ceiling rose to be removed?

OK, fair point- just doesn't apply to any of my lights so it hadn't come to
mind.

>Of course you could always put a DIN module above the ceiling and
replace
>your wallswitch with a pressbutton :-))

I'm still a bit anti-X10, it just doesn't strike me as a good long term
solution, with everything else moving to try to filter signals off the
mains... I don't know if the IEE's recent protests about the unsuitability
of mains wiring for data transfer would apply to X-10 (the principles are
the same), but I feel more comfortable with a simpler Cat-5/IR/RF network-
maybe if I played with it for a while, I'd be hooked... though running
fresh cables under floors doesn't really bother me personally...

Nigel

For the absolute lowest price on software visit:
http://www.bottomdollar.com/egroups/

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ukha_d