Re: Subwoofers from Scan

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Subwoofers from Scan
  • From: Nigel Orr <nigel.orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 11:39:20 +0100

At 11:13 04/08/99 +0100, you wrote:
>600 Watt (PMPO) Active Speaker Set - 2 x Satellite Speakers & Large
>Sub-Woofer & Combined Base Woofer=20

Run away, run far far away... oops sorry, must stop posting first=
reactions...

Don't get confused by the power rating, for starters.  PMPO is basically
arbitrary- they take the maximum possible voltage out (peak), into the
minimum possible resistance.  Not only will you never get there with music,
it is only a vague measure of a transient power.  For example, it might
have a +/- 12V power supply, and might be tested (or calculated) into a 1
ohm load.  24V (assume a rail to rail swing), 1 ohm, pmpo is V^2/R=3D 576W,
call it 600 just to even things off...

>for only =A324.00. My Sony surround sound TV doesn't have a sub-woofer
so
>can I plug the scan kit into the scart or audio out of my TV,
disconnect
>the Scan satellite speakers and then effectively just have the
>sub-woofer supplementing my existing Sony speakers?

You could. But if the above guess is correct, and assuming an 8 ohm woofer,
Vrms is about 8.5V, so power is 'really' 9W.  For a subwoofer, you usually
need a good solid power supply, so you will probably get less than that in
'real power'- ie next to not much...

If you add to that the fact that the sub will probably be poorly designed,
and may be less efficient than a good speaker, you might get even less=
again.

>I'm guessing that quality is not quite so important on subwoofers (our
>experience of Terra branded kit is not great), and therefore having a
>cheap one is better than not having one at all?

It depends on the rest of the stereo- a cheap one might be significantly
worse than none at all.  With a Sony TV (presumably a stereo one), the
quality is probably reasonably good at the moment, and this could easily
change that ;-(

>I'm willing to give it a go, but can anyone suggest a reason why it
>won't work at all, or why I might not want to try it...

It won't do any harm to try it, but it may well be disappointing- in fact,
it may, like some of the "400W" ones I've seen, be powered from a
'wall
wart' mains adaptor...

I'd be interested to hear the results if you go for it... but I suspect you
would be better to go bargain hunting at Richer Sounds or the like.  You
don't always get exactly what you pay for in audio, but there are few true
bargains...

Nigel

GET WHAT YOU DESERVE! A NextCard Platinum VISA: DOUBLE Rewards points,
NO annual fee & rates as low as 9.9% FIXED APR. Apply online today!
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/606

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications