Re: Mains voltage halogens

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Mains voltage halogens
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timmorris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 02:07:08 +0100

Replace the ring. The ring is actually just the base of the fitting, with
the bulb holder attached to it, protruding into the ceiling void. The two
fittings look almost identical (the ring is identical), the interface
between the bulb and the fitting is different presumably to stop an idiot
from using a 12V bulb in a 240V fitting.

> > For info, the bulbs are:
> >
> > Sylvania Hi-spot ES50s model GU10.
> >
> > 25 degree flood, 1150cd, rated life 2,500 hours.
>
> How many watts and what do they cost?

The ones I have are 50W. Unfortunately as they were fitted by an
electrician
who does a lot of work for my uncle, and I won't be seeing a bill. I can't
give you an idea on price, but I should imagine the fittings and bulbs are
priced comparably with 12V.

> BTW, some electronic transformers specify a leading phase dimmer -
> others laggin phase. I have tried both sorts on my X10
> dimmers and they
> all go flickery when dimmed - anyone had any luck at all with
> electronic
> transformers or will I juat have to go for magnetic ones?

Surely it will be cheaper to replace your fittings, than to buy new
transformers?

> eGroups eLerts!
> Exclusive discounts on small business products and services
> Join Now! http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/25
>
> eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ukha_d

eGroups Spotlight:
"innovative-teaching" - keeping teachers up to date with Internet
resources.
http://clickhere.eGroups.com/click/18

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ukha_d