RE: [KAT5] Wiring House

  • Subject: RE: [KAT5] Wiring House
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <kat5users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 21:56:29 +0100

Hi Ant,

Welcome to the KAT5 list.
Graham has already answered most of the points so I will keep my reply
brief(ish!!!).

> 1 - Should I opt for cat 5e or cat 6 cable? I know the latter
> will be more expensive but
> it will potentially be more futureproof. Does anyone have any
> experience with cat 6?

No point using CAT6, save the money for more "toys" to connect to
the CAT5e

> 2 - If I went with cat 6 would the KAT5 modules work okay?

KAT5 works fine on CAT5, CAT5e, CAT6 and even on ordinary telepone cable
but
CAT5e is the preferred medium.

> 3 - Can I use the same "network" for both data and
audio/video or
> is it better to use
> patch panels and create separate networks?

Bit worried about your definition of "network".
KAT5 is NOT Ethernet, it just uses the physical meduim of CAT5 cable to
carry balanced audio and video signals.

What you should have, is a "Structured Cabling System" which
consists of
loads of CAT5 outlets around the house all wired back to patch panels in a
common location usually referred to as "Node Zero". This is where
you
determine what a particular cable is used for at the time you want to use
it.

Phone/Fax - Plug a phone line into the patch panel and a phone adapter into
the socket in the room.

Computer/Printer - connect the patch panel end to a Network Switch/Hub and
the PC/Printer to the socket in the room.

KAT5 - Plug the transmitter into the socket in the source room, receiver
into the socket in the viewing room and link the two sockets at the patch
panel with a patch cord.

The whole concept of a Structured Wiring Installation is that a single
cable
type can carry "most" types of low voltage signals around your
home. The
exceptions to this are...

UHF/Satellite Feeds - These need CT100 co-ax because the bandwidth far
exceeds that of CAT5 cable.

Speakers - These need a cable capable of carrying much higher currents.
79/0.2 cable or 2.5mm Twin and Earth is fine for this although the T&E
can
be more difficuly to terminate due to its rigidity.

Hope that helps