Latest message you have seen: [KAT5] Re: KAT5 RGB Units for Sale

RE: [KAT5] Re: Kat5 versus balun versus component coax

  • Subject: RE: [KAT5] Re: Kat5 versus balun versus component coax
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <kat5users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:34:31 -0000

Hi Mark,

--- In kat5-users@xxxxxxx, "Graham Howe" <graham@s...>
wrote:
> If I remember correctly, Keith tried his units on either end of a full
> 300m reel of CAT5 and there were still no noticeable problems. I've
> certainly used them on 50m runs and they've been fine.

There was a comparison done (not by me) between a good quality 20m S-Video
cable and a set of KAT5's over almost a full box of CAT5 and the KAT5's
gave
the better picture.

The first prototype KAT5 units (Composite only) didnt show any degradation
at about 600m and were pushed to about 1km but I dont realistically expect
anyone to try and run them much over 200m in a domestic environment which
is
where they are really targetted.

> Graham,
>
> The problem in question is only applicable to _component_ video.

Not true. It is applicable to S-Video, ComponentVideo, RGBS and RGBHV (VGA)
where different signals must arrive at the same time.

> I thought that Keith had only tested on S-Video and composite?

There are several sets of RGB and Component units in use by KAT5 Users and
none have reported any problems. The original prototype VGA unit I built a
few years ago is still running perfectly at the end of 185m of CAT5 cable.

The reason the VGA units arent available is that I have a slight problem
with the sync outputs that work fine on some monitors and wont work at all
on others. It isnt helped by the plethora of different resolutions and
refresh rates on modern graphics cards and at the moment other items have a
much higher priority on the development list.

> Have you used with component?

I havent because I dont have any kit that supports component but several
other people have used RGB units with component.

Hope that helps