Latest message you have seen: RE: [KAT5] VGA over Kat5?

RE: 5.1 6.1 surround

  • Subject: RE: 5.1 6.1 surround
  • From: Keith Doxey
  • Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 22:40:00 +0000

Phil Harris has suggested that as a Dolby Digital signal is a 75ohm signal
it MAY pass over a standard KAT5 Video circuit. I dont think any harm could
come from trying out this theory as KAT5 will only output the same level
that is input to the transmitter.

If anyone would care to try this at their own risk and report back I am
sure
others would be interested in the results.

I dont currently have the means to test this at the moment. My only Digital
source is my DVD player and my Surround sound amp has been sitting in the
corner with nothing connected for the last 5 months whilst I try to
rearrange the house.

As to the original question from Amar regarding sending speaker level over
KAT5, that is not possible. Neither is direct connection using CAT5 cable
as
it does not have a high enough current handling capability.

It is possible to feed speakers over CAT5 by using matching transformers at
each end. These increase the voltage fed over the cable thereby reducing
the
current. This is how a 100V Line speaker system works. Instead of driving
the speaker directly, the output of the amp is fed into a transformer that
outputs 100V at maximum power, this is fed over the cable and at the
distant
end another transformer convers the 100V line back to a low impedance
circuit to connect direct to the speaker.

There are 3 issues with 100V line

1. You need two transformers for each circuit and they arent cheap
2. Some amplifiers will not happily drive a transformer
3. There will be some degradation of sound quality due to the transformers.

The thing to remember is that as versatile as CAT5 cable is, it is NOT the
answer to all connectivity problems. You should always use a cable that is
intended for the purpose.

CAT5 - Line level balanced Audio/Video and low voltage data and telecomms
Co-ax - RF for TV and satellite downleads
Screened - for unbalanced Audio/Video
Twin (substantial) copper for speakers.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk