RE: IRDA Repeater

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: IRDA Repeater
  • From: "Ian B" <Ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 23:41:33 -0000

Hi Keith

I have been learning a bit about the IRDA format and have learnt the
following.

The IRDA protocol is as you say  short range one but in addition to this it
is also a low power one in the computer world. This means the time to
transmit 1 bit value 1 would be x. With IRDA this value is only sent as a 1
for say 1/4 x and the remaining time there is no transmission. This cuts
down on power consumption but makes decoding and retransmitting it a little
more of a challenge. More information for those interested at
http://dbserv.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm?appnote_number=631

Quite how all this relates to remotes I am not sure.

Ian (still saving for a descent scope)

p.s. Keith, any recommendations for a scope within a mortals price range?

NTL
> remote.
>
> IRDA does not use a carrier signal unlike normal IR which tends to use
> carrier or 38-40 kHz.
>
> IRDA receivers will output a clean signal from any type of remote. An
NTL