Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: CCTV

Re: Planning HA, AV, lighting, security and telephony installation

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Planning HA, AV, lighting, security and telephony installation
  • From: "Simon Coates" <ecolume@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 00:09:07 -0000

Keith,

I'm currently renovating a house and adding lots of home automation equipment - I think I'm thinking on the same lines as yourself.  After months of planning etc... I feel that I've probably arrived at a fairly good compromise between functionality and cost - I wish I had more money though :o(  Anyway, this is what I have ended up installing (although some things have changed along the way)

HomeVision controller with 2 multifunction expansion cards and serial card
Comfort alarm with expansion card - 5 keypads and 3 metal doorphones (1 with camera) Web...
Dell 19" 42U rack with 2U server with RAID and rackmount TFT/keyboard
2 No. 3000VA APC UPSs
BT Norstar Compact digital PBX (wanted cable but was going to cost too much in time and money)
Futronix EnviroScene 16 channel 5A dimming controller with 7 zones (talking to HV)
Vista 16 camera digital multiplexer with VMD, ethernet, alarms, SCSI and 80Gig storage (shit hot!)
5 No. DDARs (1 in bog)
2 No. Philips Pronto remotes
full house infrared
KAT5 (in near future)
1 No. ePods touchscreen (wall mounted)
Lots of DIN mounted AD10s and LD11s
Dallas Semiconductor DS18S20 temp chips (every room)
16 No. Ceiling mounted occupancy detectors
10 Butler Add-a-Motor curtain motors
VacuDuct Central vacuum system
10 GJD external PIRs
Vehicle Alerts car detector
Auton TV lift
Motorised gates with battery backup
Automated underfloor heating
Automated central heating radiators
Thermomax solar system for hot water
Data tag door entry system
In wall speakers & ceiling speakers and floor transducer

+ lots of other bits and the usual A/V stuff - and a 42" or 50" plasma when I can afford it :o(

I'm also thinking of getting a 6kW wind turbine as well (still undecided and not sure about planning permission)

The above list probably looks quite big and expensive, but it didn't all cost as much as you'd think.  I 'shopped around' and got the best deal possible.  I got a lot of stuff from the US as it's much cheaper there.  Other stuff I got either at trade prices or at almost manufacturer's cost price.  Also I sell Futronix equipment, so that might go down as samples :o)

I've been doing this project for about 9 months now and been thinking of HA almost every day, and although it's all starting to 'piss me off' at the moment, if you need any assistance let me know!

Regards

Simon