Latest message you have seen: Re: Anyone seen / got on e of these?

RE: Accessing home server via NTL Broadband

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Accessing home server via NTL Broadband
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 00:27:00 -0000

> Ironically, the government have just been accused of putting
> economic needs ahead of the environment by giving the go
> ahead for Heathrow Terminal 5  :-(

I wondered about the go ahead for other reasons. Given the immense local
objection and the quite extensive collapse of the airline industry, one
would think that Heathrow would have more than sufficient coverage with the
previously overcrowded existing terminals since flight attendance is at an
all time low and Terminal 5 would have been postponed until more prosperous
times.

Friends within the airline industry confirm the media figures of lay offs
(in fact internal figures seem higher than those published to date) and a
lot of the flights (long haul international at least) seem to be at or
around 20% capacity.

So I wondered if it was an excercise in attempting to help with the
recovery
of the airline industry with a "go ahead as if nothing has
happened"
approach. By showing confidence in the need for expansion of one of our
biggest airports, even given the media fallout of the objections being all
but ignored, will raise the profile of airlines and maybe overshadow the
fears that September 11 thrust into the industry to help kick start the
engine that is tourism.

Might be purely conincidental and I am sure there is enough news about it
give some validation to whatever reasons were claimed.

Mark.